Thursday, August 20, 2009

Finally.... I arrive!

First off, I will add images when I get a laptop and actually move into my apt, so I apologize for the dull post.


So I'm finally here, but not without some huge bumps. I was initially to fly off to Shanghai and then transfer to Seoul on Sunday, but as I woke up that morning and checked the flight status I found out my plane had been delayed by 7 hours. NOT A FUN WAY TO WAKE UP. Poor Julia and Emily had come to go to the airport with me early in the morning and ended up getting to experience me freaking out instead. Especially poor Emily who had been to a concert the night before. In the end Julia saved my arse by knowing how to exactly sweet talk the demon company known as Air Canada.


Here is the thing. The flights were booked seperately and the second ticket was done through Eastern Chinese Airlines, which were closed on Sunday. On top of that I had to rebook ANOTHER flight from Seoul to Jeju which wasn't even initially booked by me. I hope this slightly outlines the disaster that day was.

So my first day in Korea was actually spent at an old petting zoo in Toronto! Woo!





I left the next day (awake at 3:30am with 2 hours of sleep) and didn't actually get into Seoul until 5pm the next day.









I don't sleep on planes.

Apparently when you're missing 24hrs of sleep the ground begins to move on its own.

So I finally arrived in Seoul the other day and went through customs quite easily despite the masked men taking my temperature as soon as I got off the plane. Poking something random towards my neck....

I got to Jeju but I am stuck in a motel until tomorrow. A motel that... well despite all the mold, is annoying with its bathtub setup which allows for no showering.

And this is important. Let me be clear... I very much underestimated Jeju weather. We're talking 30+ everyday and humidity that equals to me sweating about 5mins after stepping out of the door. It's disgusting...


So what is Jeju like you ask?



Here are things I've learned since being here:

-The sidewalk IS a roadway, and you're simply in the way



-A shower CAN and WILL have a toilet in it



-Taxis will honk at you on the road to let you know they're empty



-You are a foreigner, even if they 've seen a white person before they will stare



-They love to say Hi to you and laugh at you when you say hi back. Endearment or mocking, you be the judge



-Cold spicy squid tentacles are a healthy part of your breakfast



-Everything here is cheap. 8$= 12 sushi pieces, soup, salad, snack and drink











I best go now because this is just a break between my classes. I will write about it more, when this isn't such an essay!

No comments:

Post a Comment