Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A Definite Learning Experience





So now I've been here for almost a week and I thougt I'd share some stuff.
So I'm in my apt which... Has it's quirks. First there's a big grappling hook [With the words: "Simplicity Descending Lifeline"] beside my window and an emergency rope system in case my apt goes up in flames. My...god. I'm not sure I could use it... Ever.
I got "sheets" for the bed. Thebed itself is a bunk bed but with a double bed on the bottom. I managed to pull my sheets on the bed and turned my tablecloth (since I have no table for it) into a snazzy bedspread. The hospital styled cover that came with it just isn't suffiscient. Because while the weather is warm, the amount of air conditioning I use makes it chilly at night.













The view from my window is admittedly gorgeous. You can see the island spread out and out and slowly elevate itself. And to the side u can see the volcano covered by clouds. The city... Well it's kinda how I pictured China to look like. Not unclean but always a sensation of uncleanliness. And a city with the same inspiration behind it as Waterloo and Kitchener. One of a dull and often non-sensical thinking.




I taught my first class, although not on purpose. I was supposed to sit in, but suddenly Chandra never showed up cus of the director. VoilĂ . First taught class. One of the kids in the class called me ugly... Well actually had no idea but the kids here rat each other out. They do that a lot here. We are not seen as real teachers so I've been told to expect them to not listen because I don't know Korean. Bleh. They're allowed to be louder here and hit each other. They stand. And while I'm constantly reminded that they're only kids... lets just say that this is not a place for Cades. I'm envious because all the other teachers bring in sticks to class, but I think I'll play out my role as JENNY TEACHER!!!' the foreigner.
The kids are often well meaning. It's just that the pressures of their parents force em to learn English after school. I've been warned that when school break ends to expect them to be tired and unfocused. One wonders why learn english when u consider that most of these kids won't ever leave the island. It really saddened me to hear that if one girl got a bad mark in school she would be hit. Of course they get 50$ if they do well.
As a goodbye party for Chandra we went out to a Korean style dinner. We sat on the floor while rounds upon rounds upon rounds of food came... My lord it never ended. It was a lot of raw seafood and things like kimchi, seasoned pumpkin, flavored tofu,soup, meatball... and unknown things. On top of that, the director was pounding back the booze and in turn so must I. No hangover luckily!

They have soju which is like a tamer vodka. And their wine which tastes more like white port.The most horrid food placed before me came in the form of octopus. I was ready to dig when I noticed that the slices were still changing colors. Yes... Indeed it had just been killed. So as I was trying to pry off the suckers from the plate I was reminded of the Japanese eating them and the hazard they cause if the suckers get ahold of ur throat and strangle u. Did it apply here? Yes it did.I was told to just swallow but instead I munched on that thing until all suckers were made obsolete. Ruined my appetite for much of the meal after. The meal was an art form in itself as you can see:



Ok thats it. This is actually copied from an email to my parents and brother. I apologize for the unoriginality, but I just don't get much time on a computer and not yet able to write out what I want.


[PS- Sorry for lousy english/grammar. Yes I realize the irony of it and me being a teacher; however, I wrote this quickly and initially on an itouch which is less than forgiving on poor grammar and sentences. So I've tried to edit it as much as possible but it wont be perfect! I'm sorry!]

No comments:

Post a Comment