Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Pot-bing-su



Hello Korean Desserts!

First off, I don't tend to like asian desserts. Almost everytime the sweetner is red beans, which is deeply wrong and disturbing for me, and the actual sweet taste... well it is INTENSE. Often the sweet is so overpowering that I almost feel sick to my stomach and start having nightmares about my next dentist visit. So believe me when I say that I was pensive about my first true Korean dessert experience.

Pot-bing-su... which if you mumble fast enough, comes out as poppinzoo (or at least that's how I say it and hear it) is an interesting delicacy.




First imagine a bowl that looks very beautiful. There is a delicious pile of ice cream at the center on top of a massive mound of shaved ice. Surrounding the ice cream is well...



Rice Cakes


Watermelon


Tomatoes


Corn


Corn Flakes


Kiwi


Banana


Pineapple




Yes indeed folks... cherry tomatoes and corn. Then you grab a bowl of red bean sauce (full beans still intact) and begin pouring it over top of everything and start mixing it all together. And then you are left with a bowl... of what may appear to be cold sweet oatmeal. You are also given milk, but I was told that the secret is not to add the milk as it makes the concoction too runny.



My friends who took me can't get enough of it.
I can.

2 comments: