Tuesday, November 20, 2012

An Ode to Violence & Destruction

Frosh week at my university was straight out of a movie. My friends threw TVs from a 4th floor balcony, a house burned their couch in the front lawn, and some guy smashed a cop car's window. Awesome! Even the neighboring city's radio station host simply said "Well that's Frosh Week for you!" (In French). Isn't it amazing how that destruction just gets a shrug and a chuckle!


In Korea, not only would these drunken shenanigans not be likely to occur, but even the idea would probably not enter a Korean's mind. Before I continue, I should say that I realize what I've said is a massive generalisation and I'm not intending to write an article meant to point fingers or criticize actions. This article is about how my mind has changed concerning drunken destruction. To continue, Koreans certainly get into drunken fights and their reasons for the fights are no different than ours. But, in general, when they get drunk there's no sudden interest to smash something or spray paint a wall. (Although passing out in random places seems to be a popular activity) Whereas my Frosh Week would have been subpar if I had not been able to watch at least one drunk guy mooning a passing car and almost fall into it. In fact, it seems the most extreme reaction to an intense night on the town is passing out on the street.


So why is there such a difference?

Korea is a homogeneous society with a history influenced by confuscionism. In confuscionism, people are taught to listen to their elders and respect authority. On the other hand, western history has created a more questioning society due to a history that included many moments of fighting for social liberties and overhauls of large government powers.

I believe that this has formed two very distinct schools of thought that has influenced how we act while drunk. Westerners are more likely to have rebellious nature and revel in a chance to break some minor rules. (As we have been taught that at times breaking rules and questioning things is necessary and even good for us. House Hippo!) Koreans are less likely to become destructive while intoxicated because it's just not a part of their social conditioning as it is in ours.



While I'm not the wildest drinker in the world, I've grown up thinking that a bit of spray paint or broken glass is just a part of a great night out. It isn't malicious or meant to particularly hurt others, but just a result of drinking. This may sound simple, but Korea has taught me that just because we may be drunk, it doesn't mean that we should suddenly have an urge to break or vandalize something. It isn't the alcohol bringing that out of us. And I believe that our social assumption that these things happen because 'kids are being kids' or as a part of a wild night out, is wrong.

In fact. It's just dumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment